Aah Summertime! A time when sun-filled days by the pool or beach mean beautiful glowing skin, sun-kissed highlights and perfectly tousled beach waves! Right?! Um, not quite!
Unfortunately, the reality is more like sun-damaged skin, wrinkles and fried hair! Yep, we all know the damage sun does to our skin, but few realize the kind of beating your hair takes in the summer. Not only does sun dry out hair and cause color-fading; but throw in chlorine or salt water and you’ve got a hot mess on your hands! But not to worry, if you follow these simple summer hair-care tips, you can still enjoy your sun and have your sexy hair too!
Here are some basics for keeping your hair healthy and beautiful all summer long!
- Step Away from the Hot-tools: Unless you’ve got a hot date or a big business meeting, there’s really no need to heat-style this summer. Using hot tools like curling irons and straighteners, along with spending more time in the sun can severely damage hair and cause split-ends. Instead, go for cute braids, buns and soft air-dried styles. If you must blow-dry, allow hair to air-dry most of the way, and then hit it with the dryer for the last 5-10 minutes to prevent heat damage and use a leave-in first (See #3)
- Put Down the Shampoo: More and more research is telling us that shampoo is not as necessary as we used to think. Now, I’m not talking about walking around with a smelly, greasy head – please don’t do that! Just limit the shampoo to 2-3 times a week at most. Massaging with conditioner can keep you clean in between washes and your hair will have the right amount of oil to protect from damage and keep from looking dull! I like: WEN Cleansing Conditioner. It replaces your shampoo, and can be used as a leave-in!
- Use Protection!: We all know the importance of using SPF on our skin. – The same rules should apply to your hair! Before going into the sun or using hot-tools (if you must,) be sure to spray in a leave-in conditioner specifically for heat protection. One of my faves, available at almost all drugstores, is TRESemme Instant Heat Tamer Spray. Around $4.
- Before you jump in..: Protecting your hair from chlorine and salt-water is also a must! If you get into the water with dry hair, the chlorine penetrates your hair faster, causing dry-outs and can fade your beautiful hair color. So, don’t go in with dry hair! To protect hair, you can use a leave-in, or simply wet hair beforehand with a garden hose. And be sure to rinse again when you get out! Simple, but it makes all the difference!
- Fight frizz!: In many places, Summer comes with high humidity and that means big, frizzy hair. Ugh! To fight extra frizz in the summer time, you need a leave-in moisturizing treatment. Think of your hair as a sponge. If it’s not coated with a good moisturizing treatment, the “pores” of your hair are left open to suck up any moisture in the air – which causes the big frizz effect. If you’re prone to frizz, I highly recommend Sally Hershberger’s Hyper Hydration Super Keratin Spray (about $12.)
- Getting Deeeep!: Undo damage and maintain a healthy mane by scheduling a deep conditioning treatment at your fave salon once a month. Short on time or cash? (or both?) -Give yourself a weekly moisture boost with at-home treats like Aussie 3-minute miracle! – Definitely one of my all-time faves, can’t-live-withouts! It’s available at most drugstores, is a great price (just a few bucks,) and can easily fit into your routine while showering. Love it!
- Give your ends some Love!: Your ends are the most susceptible to damage and breakage -Even if you practice all of the above religiously, you’ll need some backup just for your ends. On top of the leave-in, I suggest adding oil to your ends daily. I recommend using a natural oil, as some “frizz” products give the illusion of hair repair, but actually just add shine so the hair looks healthier. Some of these products can actually give your ends a “crispy” effect over time!UGH! My oil of choice is MoroccanOil, but there are plenty others out there! (Be sure to write me and let me know your faves!)
- Put a Lid on it!: Of course, one of the best and easiest ways to protect hair from the sun is to simply cover it up! Be ultra chic at the beach with colorful scarves and sexy hats to protect your hair and your gorgeous face! ("Google" some of your fave celebs with the word "Beach" or tons of inspiration!)
Ok all my beautiful beach bunnies! Now that you’re armed and protected from the elements, go hit the beach with your hotness!
Peace, Love, and Sexiness!